For the longest time, I thought potato au gratin and scalloped potatoes were the same thing. I was told they were slightly different – gratin is baked with a layer of cheese (or breadcrumbs) on top until it turns golden brown, while scalloped potatoes never includes cheese. Both dishes are equally yummy! This side dish is very easy to make, it may take some time to thinly slice the potatoes, but after putting the dish into the oven, you are completely done! I put cheddar cheese on top since my kids like cheddar, but you can use any cheese you want.
Garlic clove, crushed
Potatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400F, rub an oven-proof dish with butter and garlic.
- Thinly slice the potatoes (picture 1).
- Start with a layer of potatoes on the bottom of your dish (picture 2), then add a layer of sliced mushrooms (picture 3).
- Sprinkle salt and pepper, then repeat steps 2 and 3 to add another layer of potatoes and mushrooms (pictures 4 and 5).
- After seasoning with salt and pepper, top with remaining potatoes (picture 6).
- Mix together eggs, milk and cream and pour over vegetables (picture 7). Bake for an hour.
- Remove the dish from oven and sprinkle cheese over top (picture 8).
- Bake 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden and vegetables are tender (picture 9).