These Norwegian cookies are typically made with a cookie press. The cookie press comes with a variety of discs to make various shapes of cookies and children love to help make them. Spritz are crisp, fragile and buttery tasting, great for Christmas goodies. Your Christmas holiday cookie plate won’t be complete without these cookies!
- Preheat oven to 350◦F .
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat together butter, sugar and extracts in a large mixing bowl at moderately high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and beat well. Add flour mixture and mix at low speed until just combined.
- Quarter dough and put 1 piece into cookie press. Holding press slightly above ungreased baking sheets, squeeze out dough to form cookies (follow manufacturer’s instructions). Form more cookies with remaining dough in same manner. (see picture below)
- Freeze shaped cookies in the freezer for about 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven until edges are golden, 10 to 15 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool.
I added sprinkles to make the cookies more festive.
If you don’t have a cookie press, you can flatten dough to 1/3 to ½ inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter. Cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 weeks.
- Day 9: Butter Cookies, A Variety that You can Rely on (loavesandstitches.wordpress.com)