These Chiu Chow-style steamed dumplings are very pupular at Chinese dim sum restaurants. My grandma made the best Fun Gor, I regret I did not ask for her secret recipe when she was alive. However, I was able to gather pieces from relatives, friends and online. It was a fun process to experiment with ingredients until the recipe was just right.
Ingredients for Filling (餡材料):
40g Lean pork (瘦豬肉)
4 Prawns (大蝦)
3 Dried radish (甜菜脯)
4 Jicama/water chestnut(沙葛 /馬蹄)
3 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked until soft (冬菇)
30 Dried shrimps (蝦米)
2 Slices carrots (紅蘿蔔)
1 Stalk celery (茜芹)
16 Roasted peanuts (炒熟花生)
16 Ground roasted peanuts (炒熟花生磨碎粉)
16 Cilantro (香芫荽葉)
little White pepper (少許白胡椒粉)
1/4 cup chicken broth
Marinade for pork (醃肉料):
1 Tbsp Soy sauce (生抽)
1 tsp Brown sugar (糖)
1 tsp Corn starch (粟粉)
1/4 tsp Oyster sauce
1 tsp Oyster sauce (蠔油)
½ cup Chicken broth (雞湯)
¾ Corn starch (粟粉)
Ingredients for wrapper (16 pieces) (皮料: 16 個)
150 g Wheat starch (澄麵粉)
50 g Tapioca/potato starch (菱粉)
250 ml Boiling water (滾水)
1/3 tsp Salt (鹽)
2 tsp Oil (油)
- Dice all ingredients, set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pan and fry the dried shrimps, set aside.
- Boil some water and cook the prawns (about 2 mins), cut each prawn into 3-4 pieces, set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat the pan/wok with a glove of garlic, pan fry jicama, mushrooms, carrots and celery, set aside.
- Marinade the meat and pan fry until it is cooked, add all ingredients listed in 4. Add in ¼ cup of chicken broth and simmer for 3-5 mins with low fire. Stir in the seasoning mixture to thicken the filling. Set aside to cool down. Stir in ground roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Add a pinch of salt into wheat starch. Boil 250ml of water and pour into the wheat starch, mix quickly. Add Tapioca starch a little by little while kneading the dough. Add a little oil and keep kneading.
- Cut the dough into 16 pieces, cover with a cloth to keep warm while wrapping the dumplings. Take out one piece of dough at a time, use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a flat circle, or you can use a plate to press it down to form a circle (a tortilla press would have been ideal for this).
- Scope a spoon full of filling and add some roasted peanuts, prawn and cilantro into the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half and seal the edges.
- Spray cooking oil on the steamer and steam dumplings for 7 minutes. When cooked, the skin will turn transparent like crystal.
Note: Tapioca starch gives it more elasticity. If you want a chewer skin, you can change the recipe to have equal amount of wheat starch and tapioca starch.