Boot Jai Go aka Put Chai Ko is a popular snack sold by street vendors in Hong Kong. Traditionally, these pudding cakes were steamed in earthen bowls, which in Chinese means “Boot Jai”. This is how it got its name “Boot Jai” pudding. These pudding cakes are made from white or brown sugar, rice flour and wheat starch. Sometimes red bean is also added. I still remember during my childhood in Hong Kong, the hawker removed the pudding cake from a porcelain bowl by inserting two bamboo sticks and we just held the skewers while eating them. Besides the Egg waffles, Boot Jai Go is one of Hong Kong’s must try street vendor’s snacks.
Today, I made these pudding cakes using mini muffin trays. I made two types, one with brown sugar and one with white sugar and coconut cream. I also made some without red bean as my daughter likes them plain.
Brown Sugar Boot Jai Go:
|60g||Wheat Flour 澄麵|
|90g||Rice Flour 粘米粉|
|110g||Dark Brown Sugar 黑蔗糖|
|2 cup||Water 水|
|1 cup||Cooked red beans 熟紅豆|
- Pour 1/2 cup of red bean and 1-1/2 cup of water into the pressure cooker, and set the pressure cooking time to 25 minutes (sugar can be added depending on your preference). Discard water once red bean is cooked and set aside;
- Combine wheat starch and rice flour in a big bowl, add 1 cup of cold water to the flour mixture and mix well, make sure the batter has no lumps (picture 1);
- In a small pot, combine 1 cup of water and 110g of dark brown sugar, bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved (picture 2);
- Quickly pour the hot sugar water into the batter, mix thoroughly (picture 3);
- Scope out the batter to a mini muffin tray with a ladle (while transferring the batter, keep mixing the batter as the starch tend to sink to the bottom) (picture 4);
- In a big steamer/wok, bring water to a boil. Transfer the muffin tray to the steamer and steam over high heat for 3 minutes. Then add red bean to the middle of each pudding and continue steaming for 7 minutes. If you want to make the plain pudding with red beans, just steam it for 10 minutes straight (picture 5).
Coconut Boot Jai Go:
- Replace brown sugar with white sugar, also 110g (picture A);
- Instead of 1 cup of boiling water, combine 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of coconut cream (pictures B & C);
- Pour sugar, water and coconut cream into a pot, bring to a boil (picture D);
- Repeat steps 4-6 above.
- It’s normal that the cake droops in the middle after steaming.
- You will need to steam this for 30 minutes or so if you use a porcelain bowl depending the size of the bowl. Red bean can be added to the batter just prior to steaming.