Whenever I spoke to friends/relatives/co-workers about cooking the last few years, I would hear so much about how they fell in love with their IP and why they couldn’t stop using their IP. Cooking with an IP is currently very popular, but what is an IP? IP stands for Instant Pot which is a multifunctional electric pressure cooker. According to The New York Times, Instant Pots currently sit in the top 10 list of Amazon best sellers in the Kitchen category. I’ve owned one for more than a year now and I understand why people love it so much. You can easily convert many recipes for pressure cooking.
I normally cook this chicken in a Dutch Oven with potatoes and carrots added to the pot (Dutch Oven chicken recipe will follow). Cooking this chicken in a Dutch Oven or in a pressure cooker keeps the chicken moist and tender. When I don’t have much time preparing dinner, I just bring out my IP.
|1 (4 pounds)||Whole roasting chicken|
|2 Tbsp||Butter (melted)|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon zest|
|2 Tbsp||Rosemary (chopped)|
|3 Tbsp||Minced Garlic|
|a dash||Cooking wine (optional)|
Spices for Chicken Skin:
|1 tsp||Chili powder|
|2 tsp||Garlic powder|
Ingredients for gravy:
|1 cup||Low sodium chicken broth (cooking together with the chicken in Instant Pot)|
|2 Tbsp||Corn starch|
- Clean the chicken and pat dry.
- Melt butter in a microwave and prepare all herbs. (picture A)
- Use a chopper to chop garlic, rosemary and lemon zest together. (picture B)
- In a container, mix butter, salt and herb mixture. (picture C)
- Rub herb mixture evenly underneath the chicken skin and cavity. (picture D)
- Cover with cling wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight (you can skip this step if you don’t have time).
- Combine all spices for chicken skin in a bowl. (Pictures 1 & 2)
- Sprinkle the skin evenly with the spice mixture. (Picture 3)
- In a large frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of oil with a sprig of rosemary. Cook the chicken until evenly golden brown, add in cooking wine (optional). (Picture 4)
- Pour 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth (or water) to your Instant Pot (pressure cooker), place the metal trivet into the pot. Gently place chicken on top of the trivet with tongs. (Pictures 5 & 6)
- Select manual setting, adjust pressure to high and set time for 20 minutes. Turn knob to the sealing position. When finished cooking, do a quick pressure release. (Picture 7)
To make gravy:
- Reserve all the juice from the pot and skim the fat from the top. Transfer gravy from Instant Pot to a small pot.
- Place the pot on stove top on medium heat. Dissolve 2 Tbsps of cornstarch in the minimum amount of water needed to make a thin paste.
- Pour the cornstarch slurry into the pot and use a spoon or whisk to mix (don’t pour in all cornstarch slurry, if gravy is still thin, add more in until it’s slightly thickened.)
- Transfer gravy to a sauce boat and serve hot.