It was Super Bowl night. Super Bowl Sunday still holds the record for most pizza delivered in a single day. Studies showed that 1.25 billion chicken wings would be consumed and 29 million slices were projected to sell on Super Bowl Sunday. I’m not surprised as almost 95% of Americans planned to watch the Super Bowl. Today, I joined the party (not to watch the game but make my own pizza)! The pizza dough and pizza sauce were made from scratch. The sauce recipe was adapted from KitchenTreaty and was made with fresh tomatoes. I can taste its freshness.
Ingredients (Pizza sauce) (about 3 cups sauce):
Black pepper to taste
- Dice tomatoes and set aside (picture 1).
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add minced garlic and cook until aromatic. Add tomatoes, dried oregano, sugar, salt and black pepper. Keep stirring (picture 2).
- Leave over medium heat, stir occasionally, until boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer UNCOVERED for 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened (picture 3).
- Allow the sauce to cool and blend the sauce in a food processer (picture 4).
- Pour sauce into a bowl and let it cool (picture 5).
Ingredients (Pizza dough) (make about 5 small pizzas):
1 1/4 Tbsp (4 tsps.)
1 1/4 Tbsp (4 tsps.)
|Active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients (except dry yeast) inside the pan in the breadmaker. Fill the yeast dispenser with dry yeast (usually it is on the top of the breadmaker). Select the “Pizza dough” mode (refer to manual of your breadmaker to select the dough program). After the kneading process, allow the dough to rise in the breadmaker for about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Deflate the dough, bunch it back and divide it into 5 pieces – You can use the dough at this point, but for a finer and nicer texture, after deflating and punching the dough, roll it into a ball and put it back into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. About 2 hours before you are going to make your pizza, remove the dough from the fridge, deflate again, and split into 5 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Let them sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
Ingredients (pizza toppings):
Pepperoni, thinly sliced
Italian sausages, cook ahead
Mushrooms, thinly sliced
Red onion, thinly sliced
Yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Fresh basil leaves, chopped
Cornmeal (to slide the pizza onto the pizza stone)
** I made my pizzas with the above ingredients, of course you can add anything you want to your pizza, such as ham, BBQ chicken, even Kimchi.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add red onion and cook until it is slightly tender. Transfer onion to a paper towel-lined plate. (Picture 1)
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add the bell peppers, stirring frequently, until just softened. Transfer the peppers to the same paper towel-lined plate. (Picture 2)
- Now warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook (stirring occasionally) until softened. Transfer the mushrooms to the plate with the peppers and onion.
- Preheat oven to 500 ºF and heat up the baking stone (or baking pan) in the oven.
- Using a rolling pin to roll out your dough ball, flatten disc into an 8-inch circle. If you don’t know how to shape your pizza dough by tossing it in the air, simply start at the center and work outwards, use your fingertips to press the dough to 1/2-inch thick. Stretch the dough until it will not stretch further. (picture 1)
- Lightly sprinkle your pizza peel with corn meal. Transfer one prepared flattened dough to the pizza peel. If the dough has lost its shape in the transfer, lightly shape it to the desired dimensions. (picture 2)
- Top dough with a layer of sauce. (picture 3)
- Then sprinkle with cheese, and place your desired toppings on the pizza, sprinkle more cheese on top at the end. (picture 4)
- Slide the pizza off of the peel and on to the baking stone in the oven. Bake pizza one at a time until the crust is browned and the cheese is golden, about 10 minutes. (picture 5)
- You can use the pizza peel or a stainless steel spatula to remove the pizza from the pizza stone. Serve immediately (picture 6)