In the 21st century, most people changed their eating habits and chose to eat healthily. However, I found that healthy foods do not taste as good as normal foods so when I introduce healthier meals to my family, I have to make sure my children will allow me to make it again. I found this turkey curry recipe from SimplyRecipes by Elise Bauer. I gave it a little twist to suit our tastes and it became a popular dish for my family.
|3 pounds||Ground Turkey (93% lean)|
|1||White onion (chopped)|
|4||Medium Carrots (peeled and cut into big pieces)|
|6||Medium red potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)|
|5||Roma tomatoes (diced)|
|1 cup||Frozen peas|
|4 cups||Low sodium chicken broth|
|1 head||Garlic (minced)|
|20g||Fresh ginger (about 1-inch piece) (peeled and grated)|
|3 ½ Tbsps||Curry Powder|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 ½ tsps.||Red chili powder|
|1 Tbsp||Light brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)|
- Heat 4 tbsps. of grape seed oil over high heat in a large pan. When the oil is hot, add ground turkey, make sure not to crowd the meat. With 3 pounds of meat, it’s better to split the meat into 2 portions and cook separately. Cook turkey until it begins to brown and liquid is dried up. Set aside. (picture 1)
- Brown onion in a pan, then add minced garlic and grated ginger. Stir for about 1 minute. (picture 2)
- Return ground turkey to the pan with onion, garlic and ginger. Stir for about 1 minute. (picture 3)
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth. (picture 4)
- Then add in all spices (curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder, sugar). (picture 5)
- Add diced tomatoes, carrots, peas and potatoes. Add salt and mix well. (pictures 6-8)
- Transfer everything to a pressure cooker and press the “Meat/stew” function, press the button to choose the cooking time to 15 minutes. Turn the venting knob to “sealing” position. When it’s done cooking, do a quick pressure release. (picture 9)
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can easily cook this on the stove top. Cover the pot and simmer the curry for about 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve over rice.
- 3 pound of meat is enough for 2 meals for 5 people. This dish is also very good the next day.
- Ground turkey will release a lot of liquid when cooking. Make sure not to crowd the meat, otherwise it will take a long time to brown the meat.