My sister made this for me and my husband whenever she came to visit. She lives on the other side of the world, so I don’t get to see her often. Last time I saw her was almost 2 years ago, I really missed her Thai salad (and I miss her too :-o). We are not Thai, but this salad is so different than other standard salads, it’s spicy!! The hotter the better! My husband doesn’t like Asian food too much, but this salad became one of his favorites.
Ingredients for the Dressing:
||Fresh cilantro (chopped)
||Fresh minced garlic
||Fresh minced ginger
||Fresh Thai chili
||Fish sauce (more or less to taste)
Ingredients for the Salad:
||Green papaya (julienned)
||Roasted peanuts (chopped)
- Prepare all ingredients – chopped cilantro, garlic, ginger, shallot, chili and squeeze juice out from limes and lemon. (picture 1)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add brown sugar, then fish sauce. (pictures 2 and 3)
- Let the dressing sit for a couple of hours in the fridge to let the flavors fully develop.
- Roast peanuts in a toaster oven and chop them. Set aside. (Picture A)
- Peel and seed papaya. (Picture B)
- Julienne papaya. It is better to use a julienne peeler to get a better texture (I didn’t have one, so I grated it). (Picture C)
- Wash lettuce and chop into bigger pieces.
- Pour dressing over papaya and lettuce, and top with roasted peanuts.
This is the perfect salad for summer and is one of my all time favorite salads, I never get tired of making it. This recipe is very simple, but peeling and grilling the zucchini ribbons could be time consuming if you make for a party. I just made it yesterday for dinner for 2 people, it only took me 20 minutes.
Ingredients: 2 servings
Spring mix (baby lettuce, baby spinach, Argula, Radiccho)
Roasted almonds (chopped)
Red wine vinegar / red rice vinegar
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini, then use a vegetable peeler to slice the zucchini into thin ribbons. Peel down four sides until you hit the seeds.
- Heat a cast iron pan (on stove top) or an outdoor grill over medium high, lightly coat with olive oil. Line zucchini ribbons on the grill pan and grill for about 30 seconds and turn. Make sure they cool completely before adding them to your salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red rice vinegar, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Toss zucchini and spring mix with the dressing, sprinkle with roasted almonds and feta cheese. Serve immediately.
1. If you don’t have a grill, make sure to use a cast iron pan. It will enhance the flavor.
2. You can use the remaining parts of the zucchini for another dish.
I found this salad dressing recipe from Allrecipes.com. It tasted exactly like the one we ate at the sushi restaurant. The only change I made was to substitute olive oil for peanut oil. I guarantee this will be a hit.
Ingredients for dressing:
1/2 Cup Minced white onion
1/2 Cup Olive oil
1/3 Cup Rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Minced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp Minced celery
2 Tbsp Ketchup
4 tsp Light soy sauce
2 tsp Granulated sugar
2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Minced garlic
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Wash, peel and julienne carrot; wash and cut lettuce. Combine both vegetables and set aside.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients for the dressing and blend on high speed for about 30 seconds or until all of the ingredients are well-pureed.
- Serve the salad with a few tablespoons of dressing.